Profile of Instructor
Steven W. McKinzie, Instructor
Steven W. McKinzie, B.S., M.S., Navy Commander (retired), NCMA-Certified Professional Contracts Manager (CPCM), Certified ISO 9000 Lead Auditor certification #4605962, Member of the Professional Acquisition Corps, United States Navy, President of M3 Corporation.
Steven W. McKinzie is president of M3 Corporation and instructor for all classes. He readily shares his wealth of experience as a career U.S. Navy Supply Officer and classroom instructor of over 20 years with his students.
Introduction to Three Phases of Federal Government Acquisition, by Steve McKinzie, President of M3 Corporation
- Troy State University, 1981-1983, M.S., Management. Major Field: Management, Economics, Finance
- Ball State University, 1969-1971, B.S., General Business Administration. Major Field: Accounting, Finance
- Armed Forces Staff College, 1989
- Army Logistics Management College, 1984
Mr. McKinzie has thirty-six years of hands-on Government and private sector experience in Federal Government contract training, quality assurance auditing, and logistics support. He has been an instructor of Government contracting for the past twenty-five (25) years. Related positions that he has held include U.S. Navy Contracting Officer, with an unlimited warrant responsible for contracting for major weapon systems and their support from 1980 to 1994, and Disaster Assistance Contracting Officer for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) from 2000 to 2005. He was the Quality Control Manager on a consultant contract for the Federal Transit Administration, for which he conducted audits to ensure contractor compliance with ISO 9001 and 9002 standards from 1999 to 2003 for 13 different projects, performing more than 60 quality audits.
Training and Auditing Experience
M3 Corporation is an independent consulting company with short term contracts to teach Government contracting courses, and audit quality assurance projects requiring conformance to ISO 9000 standards.
Course Development and Instruction: Mr. McKinzie has developed course material and taught all of the following courses numerous times over the since 1994:
- Introduction to Federal Government Contracting
- Contracting Acquisition Management
- Federal Appropriations Law
- Writing a Performance-Based Statement of Work
- Developing an Independent Government Cost Estimate
- Contracting Officer’s Representative
- Contracting Officer’s Representative Refresher
- Monitoring and Measuring Contractor Performance
- Simplified Acquisition Procedures
- Understanding and Using ISO 9000
- ISO 9000 Internal Auditor Training
- Leadership and Team Building
- Facilitation Management
Organizations Taught For
- Army Logistics Management College
- U.S. Navy
- Human Resources Service Center Southeast
- NAVSEA Port Hueneme, CA
- NAVAIR Point Magu, CA
- NASA Dryden, Edwards AFB, CA
- Internal Revenue Service
- Department of Commerce
- Department of The Interior
- Business Management Research Associates
- Atlantic Management Center Inc.
- Procurement Management Development
- Rancho Santiago Community College
Relevant Experience as a Contracting Officer
- Hurricane Katrina disaster relief and various other disaster relief projects
- SPAWAR Fixed Distributive System (FDS), a Category One D Cost Plus Fixed Fee contract budgeted at $1 billion dollars.
- SURTAS, a Category One C Cost-Plus Fixed Fee contract budgeted at $250 million.
- SOSUS, a Category One C Fixed-Price contract ongoing as repair and replace
- SINGARS, a Category one C Cost-Plus Fixed-Fee contract in the development stage
Other Significant Experience
- Instructor Army Logistics Management College (6/92-6/94)
- Commander, DPRO AT&T North Carolina (6/89-6/92)
- Assistant Supply Officer, USS VULCAN (AR-5) (7/86-1/89)
- Contracting Officer, DCASMA Indianapolis (8/83-7/86)
- Assistant Petroleum Officer, Naval Station Rota, Spain (7/80- 8/83)
- Qualified Submarine Supply Officer, USS FINBACK (SSN-670), (5/76- 5/78)
- US Navy (9/65- 8/69) two tours in Viet Nam with Sea Bees